1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick With Duct Tape Issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by randomchick, Sep 9, 2009.

1. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    So I just got my shipment of day old chicks in, and one came with duct tape stuck to the wing. Turns out to be an honest accident where the box side ripped a bit, and the delivery person/store clerk(not sure whose mistake it was) taped the box up with duct tape so the chicks would not get out or hurt.

Well, now I have this little day old chick with duct tape stuck to its little wing. I have trimmed back the tape as much as I felt comfortable, the poor thing was stuck to the box. the chick seems fine, running around, eating, drinking, happy. But how do I get the duct tape off without hurting the poor thing.

Any help would be great, this little man is such a great spirit, so friendly already, I don't want to cause him any harm. My son has already named him ductty, and wants to keep him (instead of eat him.)

2. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Would it be okay to leave it on her and let it shed naturally with her down?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If you can hold it completely still, you might be able to use a single edge razor blade to shave it off. But you really don't want to slip!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If it's not bothering it I'd just leave it alone.

5. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I would wait a couple days (just to let the chick get stronger) then soak the tape/wing in some water with a little vinegar... let the adhesive get soggy and you should be able to carefully pull it off. Pull from the body out to the tip of the wing... the tape won't dissolve, but it will get mushy.

D

6. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I'm thinking WD-40, instead of vinegar

7. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:I think WD-40 would be toxic if it got any in it's mouth, and it might hurt it's skin. Goo-gone is made from orange oil and it would probably work better.

8. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Whatever you do don't let the chick get chilled!! [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you're going to use oil, use something all natural from your kitchen cabinet--olive, safflower, even corn.

You might want to get a dropper and apply a drop or two along the edge of the tape closest to the body. They just let is soak in for a day or two and see if it loosens up. More drops of oil and waiting if necessary.

10. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I would try oil...the kind for human consumption. Work a drop at a time in from the edges as the chick tolerates. Get as much off as you comfortably can. Dry excess with paper towel. One product we used for Seabird rescue after a big oilspill was Dawn Dish Detergent. The birds did fine for cleaning/bathing with sudsy water to remove gunk. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by