Baby chick with enlarged anus? help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OmyChickens, Nov 22, 2011.

1. OmyChickens

OmyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    Pasa-Get-Down-Dena
    I have a 2 week old Americana chick. i noticed her beak was white this morning.. when i picked her up to examine her, her butt seemed to be inverted.. what on earth is this!? how can i help her? i dont think this is pasty butt.. this thing looks like part of her.. what can i do in the meantime for her until i can get her to a vet? ill post a pic if i can get one.. but im scared to handle her too much right now...

thanks you so so so much!!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like prolapsed vent. It is very important to separate her quickly into a cage so the others don't peck her. You can get a rubber glove and moisten it with Preparation H (or KY, Vaseline) and gently try to push the vent back inside. If you don't have the Prep H, try to get some at the store and use it twice a day for a few days, and watch for any recurring prolapse. There are many threads here to read by using the google search at top right of page.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  3. OmyChickens

OmyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    Pasa-Get-Down-Dena
    Thank you.. I read a few other threads after I posted.. I already went and got the prep H.. and i tried to push it back in... it looks like it may be pretty far out.. no luck.. I will continue with the prep h for a few days and see what happens.. Im hoping the swelling may go down enough that I can push it back in..

I was just nervous and couldnt figure out what this was.. so i didnt know where to post.. thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by