Baby chick with eye problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zebber1, Aug 19, 2008.

1. zebber1

zebber1 New Egg

Aug 16, 2008
    I am wondering if I can use Neosporin to help with an eye that keeps matting shut? Saline rinses it open but it closes again. She had the problem in both eyes but the other one is fine now. I have asked this as a specific question on another site and get every suggestion under the sun and more questions but not the answer to my question.

I just brought her home from the feed store along with 4 others who are fine. The feed stores suggestion was just to return her for another chick but I don't want to do that as I know what her fate would be.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The saline rinse is a good idea. I'm not so sure that neosporin can be put in the eye. It's real decent of you to keep the chick

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't think I'd use neosporin. There's an eye ointment that you can buy at the drug store called STYE. It's used for what it says, treating styes, but it's basically terramycin in ointment form. Good luck.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Neosporin is actually quite toxic if ingested. You have to be very careful using it on pets. It is also potentially damaging to eyes if used improperly and should say right on the container not to get in the eyes or ears. Either stick with the saline or look for a proper opthalmic ointment such as the terramycin cream that was mentioned.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I agree, neosporin is a bad idea. It is not ever used on the eye. You need an opthalmic ointment. Good luck
    Krista

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i would replace it before it spreads

7. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I'd use erythromycin. It's made for eyes.

8. zebber1

zebber1 New Egg

Aug 16, 2008
    Thanks you guys....................I will look for the other ointments mentioned. She has both eyes open this morning!! Good sign. I had one other chick doing the same thing a couple of days ago and she is fine now as well so maybe this was just something simple and not something that could spread. Again, I appreciate the help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by