Baby chick with head twitching. Normal or something else?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StephensonC, Jan 11, 2015.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I have a 2 day old EE chick that has just started twitching it's head. She is eating and drinking good, and I have sav a chick in their water. It's almost as if she has food or fluff stuck in her mouth or face. She will twitch her head and then scratch at it with her foot. I'm hoping that's all it is and not something else that I may not be aware of. This is only my second batch of chicks and I don't know all the ins and outs yet. She was also very sticky when she hatched and had pieces of gunk stuck to her bottom, head and around the eyes. I have gradually been gently brushing at it with a soft toothbrush to loosen it up. Most of it is better, but there is some very crusty stuff between her beak and eye. I'm afraid to mess with it, in fear of accidentally injuring her eye or nostril. Am I just being paranoid or could the twitching be something I should worry about?

Update: I just noticed she is twitching her feet also. Kinda like she is stomping her feet for a second.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I would finish cleaning her up, in case she's just uncomfortable. If she's unwell, she may get worse, not good. Fresh chick starter should be a complete feed, but individuals with special needs do occur, although she's young to be showing a deficiency. Mary

3. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I switched brands of the starter feed today. The one I was using is a starter/grower and the crumbles were kinda big, especially since she is a small chick. I switched to the MannaPro starter and she seems to be able to eat that much better. I was thinking maybe the bigger pieces were getting hung up in her crop or something. Anyway, she has stopped twitching her feet and isn't twitching her head much at all now.

Is it possible for them to get too much vitamins? I stopped the Sav a Chick just in case.

I did go ahead and use a damp q-tip to clean the crusty stuff off of her face and around her eye. It wasn't as hard to get off as I thought it would be. She looks much better and I'm sure she is more comfortable.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Good work! Mary

5. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    She is still twitching her head today, but other than that, she seems fine. I started back with the vitamins. I don't know what else to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by