baby chick with hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by meloreskovich, Aug 23, 2013.

1. meloreskovich

meloreskovich Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Totally new to chickens. Some of you may know I found a wyandotte hen at the pond near my house. We LOVE her but she seems so lonely :-( my recent attempts to purchase some laying hens as companions for her have failed. Would it be crazy to purchase chicks at my local feed store and put them with her. Are they usually so young they need to be in a brooder?

Sorry! I feel so clueless about this!

Thank you!

2. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicks need to be in the brooder from the first day they are born unless you live in a really hot state which I don’t.How long they are in the brooder depends on how big and warm your brooder is. Good Luck!

3. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    I wouldn't put chicks with her unless she's broody. An unbroody hen might attack and kill chicks. Have you looked in the rehoming threads here on BYC? You might be able to find her a free companion or two.

4. cascaderox

cascaderox Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    I would start slowly introducing them to each other like putting the chicks in a box or something and letting the hen get used to them if u do this everyday and soon they will start to accept each other

5. meloreskovich

meloreskovich Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank you for the responses! I live in central Florida so, quite hot! Its 77 degrees here at 9pm. She's not broody, just lonely..I have looked on the rehoming thread but haven't found any yet. I will keep checking :) thank you :)

6. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

yup! :)

7. aguamarina

aguamarina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    I tell you what I did, when she turned broody I put her fertilised eggs and she hatch them, now she no longer sleeps in my bed, but in a coop outside with her chicks. I recommend this or find her a friend her age, chicks need serious care and a momma will do great and much better than yourself. Read lots before doing that, my first attempt failed completely she got sick (the high temperatures helped) the eggs broke and it was all so horrible. Now the 2nd time, going well so far after a yes, well, one died of 30 hours old.. :(

Best luck!

8. aguamarina

aguamarina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    I tell you what I did, when she turned broody I put her fertilised eggs and she hatch them, now she no longer sleeps in my bed, but in a coop outside with her chicks. I recommend this or find her a friend her age, chicks need serious care and a momma will do great and much better than yourself. Read lots before doing that, my first attempt failed completely she got sick (the high temperatures helped) the eggs broke and it was all so horrible. Now the 2nd time, going well so far after a yes, well, one died of 30 hours old.. :(

Best luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by