Baby chick with hurt leg

lcscott

Hatching
Sep 29, 2022
I have a one day old suprise chick, 1 of 6, that one of my hens hatched. They were fine this morning, but I went to check on them and found one like this. It will not bear weight and looks like there is some trauma. I saw one of the older hens peck at their feet. I think she either broke it or dislocated it. They have been separate.

Attachments

• 20220929_123930.jpg
    20220929_123930.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 9
You're very lucky that it's not worse damage. Clean it, and put it back with his momma in a safe place away from the other chickens. Keep an eye on it to make sure it's eating and drinking.

I have a one day old suprise chick, 1 of 6, that one of my hens hatched. They were fine this morning, but I went to check on them and found one like this. It will not bear weight and looks like there is some trauma. I saw one of the older hens peck at their feet. I think she either broke it or dislocated it. They have been separate.
Break seems to be at the hip

It may not be broken. It could be slipped tendon. Read through this and see if the symptoms match. If so, it has instructions on how to correct it. https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/07/15/slipped-tendon/

There is also a chance that the chick was pecked hard and nerve damage has occurred. That would be more serious and the treatment would be vitamin B-complex every day for a few weeks.

Last edited:
It can be hard to diagnose a leg issue. There is a cut and blue bruising, so I would treat it as an injury. Put some disinfectant on the toes, such as chlorhexidene or Betadine twice a day. If the broody will not hurt it or peck it, I would let her spend time with her buddies. You may have to remove her and check her often. If you have to keep her separated, I would place a different chick with her each day or more often, and leave the others with the broody hen to teach to eat, drink, and forage. Place her under a heat source. A chicken sling might be needed if she cannot get around to food and water. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom