Baby chick with lump on her right breast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nudles, Feb 26, 2014.

1. nudles

nudles New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    We have a 2 week old Wellsummer chick that has a penny-sized lump on her right breast, just below her neck. The lump is soft and round, like a big pimple. This has appeared in the last 48 hours. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks.

Nicole

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

are you talking about their crop? Is it inside or outside?

3. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    It sounds like her crop. The crop is part of the digestive system where food is stored before it moves deeper into the body.

These are not baby chickens, but they are naked so it is easier to see what I am talking about:

(photos not mine)
    http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMAG0650.jpg
    http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b606/SileneDioica/DSCN3646_zpsc4c8f87d.jpg

The yellowish looking lump is the crop. It looks yellowish on the parrots in the photos above because the handfeeding formula that they get is this color.

Chickens and chicks can eat quite a lot so their crop can get pretty big! But, it should gradually empty out, especially overnight. If the crop does not slowly empty (when the chick is NOT eating or drinking... eating or drinking will fill it back up again!) and the chick is not pooping, it might have a blockage. Is your chick otherwise active, eating and drinking, and have normal droppings?

4. nudles

nudles New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    Thank you for the quick replies. I did some more Googling and it seems like it is her crop. This is our second year with chickens and I obviously still have a lot to learn! We take them out of their brooder every night and let them run around on our huge ottoman and I've just never felt it on any of them before. Kinda freaked me out!

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Maybe she is just a little piggy!! I've had chicks like that, that just seem to eat a TON each time until it seems like they would burst.
    As long as she seems okay otherwise you are probably fine. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by