Baby Chick with Possible Broken Foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ebrader, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ebrader

ebrader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    hi um i need some help. i got a dozen adorable baby chicks from my local feed store on Friday and the all seem to be doing OK except for one of my little Americana keeps limping and will not spread out the talons i guess they're called on her left foot... any help?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Probably club foot. It may or may not repair itself, if that's what it is. You could make a little brace for it. Search this site for "chick boot" or "chick splint".

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If her leg is turned sideways, too, she may have Spraddle Leg, or a Slipped Tendon in her hock. There is some info on those on the site in my sig.
    If so, she needs treatment IMMEDIATELY before her brain gets too programmed for wrong movements.
    I'm glad you have spotted her trouble. :)

4. ebrader

Jul 2, 2010
    Ive done extensive research on both and i know for a fact that neither of those are her issue i think it was just a sprain because she will spread it out and even put a little weight on it now, but her middle"toe" the longest one, is still crooked? shouyld i be concerned? or will it just always be wrong?

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I'm not sure. Do you think a Chick Shoe or Toe Taping (There are descriptions on the Podiatry page) might help straighten it in her case, or do you think that would get too much in the way of her tentative attempts to use the foot?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. ebrader

Jul 2, 2010
    yes i tried both of those and they did bother her so much that i had to take it off..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by