Baby Chick with really messed up leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeyNay, Sep 24, 2016.

1. HeyNay

HeyNay New Egg

Mar 11, 2016
    Hi All,
    I hope someone can help, I have an approximate one week old chick which was given to us. One of its legs is deformed either by injury or was born that way. It's little leg seems to be straight until you get to the ' elbow' and then the rest of his leg down to the foot is twisted out. The 'elbow' joint is very swollen. It looks like it can extend its hip a little but can't extend the leg fully. It has movement in its feet but they are curled up in position. Please excuse my human terminology in explaining my chicken. We are still newbies. Last spring we purchased chicks and have grown up lovely. My friend hatched out some chicks and gave us a few which this little was included. I will add pics. I guess I'm asking if there is anything we can do to help him and his leg? Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I was hoping someone else would have suggestions before I responded...maybe they will after. I've hatched a number of chicks and have encountered this issue twice. In my cases, it seems to occur with chicks that have trouble hatching (and maybe there's a reason). While the chicks are otherwise healthy, one leg has a joint that's not normal, inflexible, and looks enlarged. The foot on that side also seems underdeveloped or very weak and the chick isn't able to use it and can't straighten the leg. I tried treating for slipped tendon, but it wasn't successful (and I frankly don't think that was the problem). I always hold out hope that the problem will miraculously resolve and the chick will be able to walk, but in both cases, it didn't. With a large free ranging flock and the real possibility that life would become even more difficult for the chick as it grew older and heavier, I felt that it was kindest to euthanize the chicks...a very difficult decision.

It's entirely possible that your chick may have a different issue going on, perhaps a slipped tendon, rather than a deformity. There are older threads on BYC that discuss treating leg issues in chicks, like this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/177839/baby-chick-injured-joint-at-leg-not-using-leg-what-to-do. Best wishes for a good outcome for your chick!

3. HeyNay

HeyNay New Egg

Mar 11, 2016
    Thank you for all your information. I feel we will need to send him an angel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by