Baby chick with red eye please help

Prudle

Hatching
Jan 31, 2021
My broody hens sat on fertilised eggs and hatched 5 chicks. 4 are loved and happy with their mummy hens. Today, I found the fifth abandoned. I tried to put it under the australorp hen but she wouldn't have a bar of it and the other broody hen turned her back. It lacked energy so I picked it up and tried to warm it (it was cold). I have put it in a box with some water and food and a warm water bottle and heat pack (not hot so it doesn't heat up too much). What else can I do for it? Can anyone advise? It is cheeping non stop and its eyes don't look bright like the other baby chicks. One of the eyes is red, does anyone know what it is?

Thank you for your help,

Attachments

• 20210131_155540.jpg
    20210131_155540.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 53
My broody hens sat on fertilised eggs and hatched 5 chicks. 4 are loved and happy with their mummy hens. Today, I found the fifth abandoned. I tried to put it under the australorp hen but she wouldn't have a bar of it and the other broody hen turned her back. It lacked energy so I picked it up and tried to warm it (it was cold). I have put it in a box with some water and food and a warm water bottle and heat pack (not hot so it doesn't heat up too much). What else can I do for it? Can anyone advise? It is cheeping non stop and its eyes don't look bright like the other baby chicks. One of the eyes is red, does anyone know what it is?

Thank you for your help,
It's really difficult to see from the one picture but it almost looks like it got pecked or hit there and the red is blood. I would maybe try some warm compresses/gently wash it first to clean it up and try to see if there's a wound or cut.

When i enlarged the pic i could see a lack of feathers around her eye. And it looks like there's blood on some of the existing feathers. I would try to clean it up and see what you can see. It could be constantly chirping cause its lonely. I had one do that while she waited for more to hatch in the incubator. I rolled up a fuzzy sock and put it under the brooder with her. She quieted immediately. I hope she heals soon

Back
Top Bottom