Baby chick with red lump on its belly

Cloud500

Hatching
Feb 27, 2020
I had a lot of chicks hatched and are all healthy except 1 which is still dry and hasn't fluffed out since 2 days. It is always laying on its side and I kept it in a small box in the broader near the other chicks so they don't peck him but I noticed a red lump on its belly and it raised concern and he had that since he was hatched.

Note: he is the only chick I helped to hatch.

I had a lot of chicks hatched and are all healthy except 1 which is still dry and hasn't fluffed out since 2 days. It is always laying on its side and I kept it in a small box in the broader near the other chicks so they don't peck him but I noticed a red lump on its belly and it raised concern and he had that since he was hatched.

Note: he is the only chick I helped to hatch.
Hi @Cloud500 :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry your chick is not well.
How old is the chick - 2 days old?
Can you post some photos of the chick and of the red lump on it's belly?

Are you able to get any fluids into the chick?
Without seeing it, hard to know, but likely the lump is the navel - does it look infected/angry?
Is it closed?

I meant to say brooder* not broader sorry...but it's too late. The chick died and the other chicks went to his box standing on top of him (idk why) I was gonna take a picture after you told me but he was already taken out of the box. And yes he was 2 days old and it was on his navel but the chick wasn't angry just tired and im not sure if he was getting fluids or not, I just want to know how to prevent this from happening again in the future.

I meant to say brooder* not broader sorry...but it's too late. The chick died and the other chicks went to his box standing on top of him (idk why) I was gonna take a picture after you told me but he was already taken out of the box. And yes he was 2 days old and it was on his navel but the chick wasn't angry just tired and im not sure if he was getting fluids or not, I just want to know how to prevent this from happening again in the future.
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

I meant was the navel angry looking like it was infected.

It's very hard to know what happened, when you hatch or even purchase chicks so many things can go wrong.
You may want to read Hatching 101 that may give you more information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...hatching-chicken-eggs-aka-hatching-101.64195/

Back
Top Bottom