Baby chick with swollen abdomen...Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Geniene, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Geniene

Geniene New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Hi there... I just had my 1st incubator hatch on March 6th.. There were 12 eggs and all hatched nice and healthy but one... This little chick pipped at the wrong end for starters...
    it took about 30 hours to hatch and when it did it bled a bit from her belly button plus had a nickel size what I think was unabsorbed yolk sac...I wrapped her in a warm damp paper towel and left her in the incubator thinking the poor baby was going to die but hoping she would absorb the yolk...and she did absorb about half of what was out......and after a few hours she started chirping and crawling around and the bleeding stopped...I left her in the incubator for another 24 hrs then moved her to a brooder with just one other chick for company... after a day she finally started to stand up and walk a few steps at a time plus the belly button area was scabbing and the yolk sac was drying up looking like it was all healing up and going to fall off eventually...The little chick is quite small and weak not eating on its own so I've been hand feeding her trying to help her gain strength and she seems to be perking up and keeping her eyes open alot more and chirping...But today the area around her belly button is swollen up like it was when she1st hatched... the area all around the scabbed over yolk looks tight...In this picture I had just washed her little bum area because there was a little poo and I want to make sure her vent is clear and the other picture is when her bum was dry...I'm not sure if its looking like this and swelling because its dry and irritated form dragging when the baby walks...or is there something internally going on? Can I put Blue kote on the spot to help heal it or Vaseline to moisten? the skin around the scabbing part seems irritated looking from drying up...Also, can I give her straight pedialyte to drink or will that harm her.. Every hour I've been feeding her damp chick starter that I roll in tiny balls and put in her mouth and she swallows it just fine plus put a few drops of water on her beak afterwards to drink.. Please help me out I really want my little chick to make it..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Geniene

Geniene New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you Eggcessive for your reply. the links you shared with me..they helped understand what was going on with her... I believe my baby chick had mushy chick.. she passed yesterday. The other 11 chicks that hatched are all perfectly healthy and doing great!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Good luck with the other chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by