Baby chick with weird vent issue - HELP!

MiaPia

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 30, 2008
Nashville, TN
I have a 2 1/2 week old Partridge Silkie that has had nothing but problems since I got her. She is MUCH smaller than all the other chicks, although she eats and drinks just fine, and the other chicks don't peck on her at all. She also is a lot more timid than the others. She has had a LOT of pasting up, but I've been very diligent about cleaning it off several times a day. The past couple of days she has had mucusy looking stuff around her vent. Then just now I saw her looking like she was straining to poop and her whole vent area poofed out to like the size of a marble (keep in mind this is a really tiny chick). It just bulged out weirdly while she strained. Later I saw her poop normally though.
Please help. She is such a sweetie and I don't want to lose her.

sounds like enteral problems to me...did you hatch yourself or was this chick shipped?
You can try a sub therapeutic dosage of tylan (this is a known therapy for enteritis) I will try and find the dosage for you (might take me a while>I can have it for you tommorrow if you have access to tylan soluable)
You can also try concentrating the nutrition in the feed by mixing half and half mixture of starter and baby parrot handfeeding formula (this is a powder you add water with )...

Thank you for the reply. The chick was shipped. She is the only one showing any signs of any kind of illness - the other 6 are absolutely thriving. This is my very first experience with chicks, so I'm really nervous about this.
Where can I get tylan?

Also, should I remove her from the rest of the chicks? They all get along really well, and the big girls usually try to protect this little one. I think she'd be so sad all alone. But I really don't want to risk infecting everyone else.
UGH - I hate this.

THANK YOU THANK YOU so much for you help and the great link.
I just called my feed store (there's only ONE nearby - I live close to town, so not much calls for feedstores around here), and they only have the injectible Tylan. The lady I talked to said they do have a customer who raises chickens who gives injectible Tylan ORALLY though.

I've Googled it with some success, but still can't find a dosage for giving the injectible solution ORALLY. Any guesses?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom