Baby chick with with slow crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Golden Egg5, Mar 11, 2017.

1. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I recently noticed one of my week old baby chicks wiggling their neck around. I thought that was odd, so this morning I checked her crop and it wasn't all they way emptied. I have not provided any treats but finely chopped egg and a clump of sod with crushed dried mealworm in it. She does not act lethargic or have any other symptoms, except wanting to be under the MHP more than the others. This is my first batch of chicks so any help would be appreciated!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Add grit to the brooder.....Anything other than starter requires grit......

Best of luck.....

Cheers!

3. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Doesn't the sod have grit in it? Or should I buy some commercial grit? I assumed the sod would contain enough grit for them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. chickens really

That is just fine dirt.....Buy actual grit.....:)

5. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Okay I will. Thank you so much! I hope it helps... I love this chick

6. chickens really

I'm sure it will be okay...Go get grit and put into a small bowl or sprinkle on the brooder floor to scratch for.....Have no worries.....Sod is fine as a boredom buster....But anything fed other than starter requires grit.....;)

Best wishes.....:)

Cheers!

7. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Thank you! :D on my way right now to go pick some up.

8. chickens really

Best wishes....:)

Cheers!

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicks sometimes have crop distress, added grit can't hurt, so do it, but you can help relieve the chick's crop discomfort by massage. A very light circular massage with your finger tip ending with a downward motion will help empty the crop.

Keep an eye on the chick to make sure it's drinking. Dehydration is one of the biggest causes of crop problems. Chicks need adequate water to wash things through their systems.

If the crop continues to cause the chick discomfort, introducing a bit of oil into its beak, olive, coconut, or mineral oil, will help dissolve the contents.

10. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Okay thank you! I have some coconut oil I will feed her and I will make sure she is getting plenty of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by