Baby chick won't eat and he keeps dozing off

alireza18feb

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
He had the splayed legs, I used the rubber band and straw method, he had opened it in the morning, he is standing up now, still a little weak on his feet but at least his legs are not splayed anymore
The new problem is he is sleepy all the time, I've heard sleepy chicks will die. I think he won't eat, I've never seen him eat by himself, the last time I fed him was yesterday, I think he feeding him the first couple of days is the reason he's not eating , he's 5 days old now. The other chicks eat and drink, but I've never seen him do the same.

Try feeding it some sugared water or nutridrench from a dropper, this can help give a bit of energy and encourage it to eat solid food. Having to deal with splayed legs might've prevented the chick from eating and drinking properly and once they lose appetite you have to be proactive.

Try feeding it some sugared water or nutridrench from a dropper, this can help give a bit of energy and encourage it to eat solid food. Having to deal with splayed legs might've prevented the chick from eating and drinking properly and once they lose appetite you have to be proactive.
I tried to dip his beak into some sugar water, and it seems like he's drinking some when I do it... Anything else I can do? I don't want to lose him knowing there's something I could've done.

Did you check for pasty butt? Do its droppings look normal etc?

I would just keep an extra eye on it and make sure it is able to keep warm and eat/drink regularly. Hopefully it bounces back. It's a good sign that it can walk on its feet now, too.

Did you check for pasty butt? Do its droppings look normal etc?

I would just keep an extra eye on it and make sure it is able to keep warm and eat/drink regularly. Hopefully it bounces back. It's a good sign that it can walk on its feet now, too.
Thank you, that's heartwarming... yeah there's no pasty butt, I will do that.

Update:
He didn't make it. I think the problem was not just splayed legs, I guess there was something wrong with his digestive system, he had a hard time getting the food and water from his beak into his whatever you call (belly), like there was a malformation inside. This really hurts, he was a beautiful polish baby chick with black and gold colors. I think this happened because there were about 5 power outages in the period of incubation and each lasted for about an hour, causing the temps to get below 35 degree. Temperature fluctuations.

Update:
He didn't make it. I think the problem was not just splayed legs, I guess there was something wrong with his digestive system, he had a hard time getting the food and water from his beak into his whatever you call (belly), like there was a malformation inside. This really hurts, he was a beautiful polish baby chick with black and gold colors. I think this happened because there were about 5 power outages in the period of incubation and each lasted for about an hour, causing the temps to get below 35 degree. Temperature fluctuations.
I had 29 eggs in my incubator started on july 29th. They were VERY late to hatch. I actually had one hatch 36 hours ago. I only had 7 hatch and I had to assist 5 of them. I have lost 2 so far. One had splay leg and it was corrected overnight after I used a band like yours. Then she was perfect happy running around,eating and drinking. Then she just died. Also she had a bit of a deformed head. Then another was sleeping all the time. Wouldn't eat or drink. I tried mash and water dipping and she took a very small amount one time. She died at 4 days. Now my newest one. Took 3 days to hatch. I had to take her out. She pipped then screaming for 2 days. Now she cries ALL the time. Stumbles around like she just cant walk correctly. She always has her head up like she is lost. Hasn't eaten or drank. So I made mash and been dipping her beak. When I give her the soup mash she gets down on it like she I'd starving but it seems like maybe she is blind. She also sleeps a lot. And her eyes are closed all the time. Only all day today though. I hope we don't loose her too!

Back
Top Bottom