Baby chick won't eat, what can we do for him?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Waxhawchicks, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Waxhawchicks

Waxhawchicks New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    We got 5 chicks from a breeder yesterday and one of our 5 won't eat or drink. He is trying to peck at the container, but pecks the red and not the food or water. We are dipping his beak, but he is weak and doesn't seem well.

We called the breeder and she said to let him die. It's nature. She said that's why she gave us a free chick. Time to tell my kids he's a lost cause.

Is there anything I can do for hiim? We have been dipping his beak and there are electrolytes in the water.

I wanted to add, there were several chicks there at the breeder that looked sickly. She said they were new and that is why, but they looked really bad. Could this be illness? He doesn't have pasty butt, but you can see where his cord was attached. Is that normal?

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Ezs Choukies

Ezs Choukies Chillin' With My Peeps

First off, I am sorry about the chick and yes it does happen but how awful. I would not buy where there are ill birds ever.

Separate the bird from the others 1-in case it is sick and contageous, 2-the others may pick on it. I am assuming it is under a week or two? One week 95° two weeks 90° this is important. It may not have/get pasty butt if nothing is going in there is not much to come out. Feeding and watering with a dropper is a good idea if you can do so with out the chick aspirating. Warm mash with the electrolytes, plain yogurt, cooked egg yolk. Put marbles or shiny objects in the water. And keep it stress free.

Also, be sure everyone is washing hands before and after handling, and prior to handling the other chicks after caring fornthe sick one. I am sure you know all that but I don't want to assume.

Can you give any details regarding the sick chick and the others who were ill at the hatchery? What breed is it? Was it sudden; eyes and nasal clear; breathing noisy or labored, etc?

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Cord attached is normal,do not pull it off. Try adding warm water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal,and place feed in a different bowl)chicks love this and it is easier for the frail ones to eat.

4. Waxhawchicks

Waxhawchicks New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    He is 2-3 days old.

The ones at the breeder had labored breathing and their eyes looked congested, and were generally stumbling around. She had well over 200 chicks and it was probably 10-20 that looked sick.

The chick is a Rhode Island Red. We have one other red and three black orpingtons.

We will get him some mush and yogurt, and boil an egg to give him the yolk. Thank you so much for the suggestions, we can't just give up on him. We are going to get shiny things now.

I will let everyone know how he is doing.

Thank you again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Those symptoms of other birds at breeder are not good. Next time run as fast as you can away. She is in my opinion an irresponsible breeder and has some virus/disease in her flock.

Yes,update on his progress.

6. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    DITTO!!!!! Im sorry for your trouble.
    Welcome to BYC, this is a great resource.

7. Ezs Choukies

Ezs Choukies Chillin' With My Peeps

Me three. Yes, some breeders are super nice and will toss in an extra chick as a bonus however it aounds like you got one because she was expecting a problem. Also, in my humble opinion, a reputible breeder would have been upset at the illness and had you bring the chook back and replaced it at the very least since it wasn't an extended period you had the bird. The ill birds (s)he had would have been quarantined.

I did forget somethings. It sounds like this is a contageous illness based on other birds having similar/same symptoms. The additional chicks should be moved into new clean quarters in case the sick one contaminated the ones they were in. Some illnesses they can survive with tlc, and early interventions, most not. Medicated chick starter won't help (it's onlly for coccideosis and leaves some of the bugs there so they can build up immunity). You may also add some unpasturized apple cider vinegar to all of their water it can't hurt and it can work wonders (natural antibacterial and has a bunch of good things in it).

Keep us posted and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by