Baby chick won't stop chirping.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seasey, Apr 16, 2017.

1. seasey

seasey Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    The first day i got her, she was fine, she ate and drank well. They're about a week and 2 days. These past few days she has done nothing but chirp loudly and stand still. She will only drink or eat if i put her near it. I don't know what to do, I'm very new to this. Please help me![​IMG]

2. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I'll start with the most common chick affliction, pasty-butt.

Have you checked her vent to make sure it's clear of dried poop? If there is dried poop covering the vent, she can't poop- which might be part of the appetite problem.

If you do find dried poop, work it off with warm water running gently- pulling on it can rip the skin. Be prepared with a towel and a blow dryer to get her dried. (they learn to like the blow dryer pretty quick) If that is the problem, be prepared for lots of chicken poo to unload once she's unblocked.

Poultry Nutri Drench does a good job getting the nutrients into them- if you have some, I would consider using it too --

You could also post this over in Emergencies so it has a better chance of collecting more ideas.

3. seasey

seasey Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    Okay. Thank you.

4. azygous

azygous Flock Master

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you heard of "failure-to-thrive"? It's when a chick has genetic abnormalities and it can't utilize the nutrients from its food so it doesn't grow and it can't stay warm, and it quickly falls behind and loses strength. They usually get sick and die around the end of the second week, if not before.

The fact the chick is peeping constantly is indication it's on its last reserves and is in crisis.

You might be able to turn it around with Poultry Nutri-drench and extra feedings with minced boiled egg.

Do check for pasty butt and if it has a clogged vent, it's also possible it's constipated. If that's the case, you need to get some mineral oil down it.

This chick may have less than a 50-50 chance to survive. If it's failure-to-thrive, there's nothing to do other than the vitamins and hope.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. seasey

seasey Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    She eats and drinks on her own now. She just chirps but stops when i hold her. She goes from a loud chirp to a few small peeps. Could she be lonely.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she pooping?
    Might want to put her in a mesh corral to see what coming out the other end.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. seasey

seasey Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    I might do that today. I think ill separate her and give her feed and water. Ive only had chicks for 3 days. Most of them are fine. One has a pasty booty but the other ones are in great shape i think. Theyre super happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by