Baby Chick Zip Ties?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SonSet Farm, Jan 9, 2013.

1. SonSet Farm

SonSet Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Newbie here with a simple question that is getting the best of me! We are hatching some adorable little babies, and want to start a leg banding system. What size zip ties does everyone use? Where is the best place to get them? We are also making a hatcher tomorrow (out of a cooler) for the final 3 days of hatching...and advice would be appreciated! LOVE BYC!!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I just use the small zip ties and use different colors to help with the record keeping.
    I keep the zip ties on for about 2 weeks and then switch over to the chick leg bands (I just buy 'em off ebay).
    When they're older, I put their adult bands on them.

3. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    ok thank you! I hadn't thought of ebay...I will get on there now. ..

4. ashl768

ashl768 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    What are these for, identification?

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Dollar Tree carries packs of small zip ties in assorted colors. And, of course, they're $1...

6. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    yes, there a few things I want to keep track of related to egg #1, #2, etc. For my own research and learning...being new to hatching I am really interested in all the details lol. I wanted to know all the info I have recorded for egg #1, belongs to 'that' chick. I know this may be difficult if they hatch without me right there...so I am really hoping they wait till I am right there!! I am also guessing boys and girls and want to see how many I get right when they grow up. Can't wait for hatch day!!! [​IMG]. If anything goes wrong, I will be crying a river!! [​IMG]

7. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    I had no idea..I am headed there tomorrow!! Thank you!! [​IMG]

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I would just like to remind you not to put them on to tight and to keep track of them as the chick grows so no little fuzzy butts get ouchies on there legs from the bads

9. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Very good advise [​IMG] thank you! I look all the girls over and hold them daily, so that shouldn't get by me. Thank you because that would be terrible!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by