Baby chick!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alina28, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Alina28

Alina28 Chirping

Dec 28, 2017
    I got this little white leghorn chick from a relative who got it from someone else. He is very active but I noticed a big ball of poop stuck to him. I removed it but I am worried that something might be wrong with him. If it is the case what should I do?? Please give some advice .(pics below)

Attached Files:

2. Silkylover12

Silkylover12 Chirping

May 3, 2015
    Hello! I'm a little worried too. It's good that you got rid of the ball of poop, but it's not good that he isn't appearing to be doing well. Let me just let you know for the future: be careful of where you get your chicks, especially from a "friend of a friend". Just my experience. Now onto the chick. I suppose giving him some chick electrolytes for a few days and seeing how well that goes. Other than that, maybe someone else could give you better info. Good luck!

Alina28 likes this.
  3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    How old is the chick? Normally they outgrow it after a week or so. Just keep up with it, that it doesn’t get bad by washing with warm water and drying off. Make sure not a lot of temp fluctuations in the brooder, I’ve noticed pasty butt is very common from store bought chicks. I have two batches of home egg hatches (a dozen of each) that never got them but have a few occasions with some chicks I bought after taking them home.

Alina28 likes this.
  4. Alina28

Alina28 Chirping

Dec 28, 2017
    Thanks for the advice!! I don't know the chick's age but he is definitely older than a week. I got to know that he was not being given any proper food just left overs so maybe it's just indigestion or something. Anyway I will try to give him homemade chick electrolytes. He is also very lonely and makes a lot of noise as I don't have any other chick right now .

5. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    It looks healthy in the face. That's a good sign.

Alina28 likes this.
  6. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    It would be a very good idea to get him a friend. Now would be the time to introduce someone new to him or her. Make sure the chicks have access to grit, this can be as simple as a chunk of short grass attached to its roots and soil from your yard. Chick grit is available from your farm store, along with other chicks :D while you are there. Keep an eye on his pooping and make sure that his vent is clear and that there is no swelling.

Alina28 and Spartan22 like this.
  7. Alina28

Alina28 Chirping

Dec 28, 2017
    Thanks for the advice everyone. He is a very moody chick and refuses to eat grains and chick food however he loves eating boiled rice and little bugs.
    Now what should I feed him

8. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    I'm not sure what it's called but when chick hatches or has umbilical chord connected to it.sometimes when it disconnects it leaves little piece hanging from chicks butt.the poop gets stuck on it and builds up.You just have to keep cleaning chicks butt until piece of umbilical chord dries up and falls off.usually takes about a week.

Alina28 likes this.
  9. Alina28

Alina28 Chirping

Dec 28, 2017
    Maybe you are right. I will just watch over him for a few days and let's see what happens.
    Will keep posting updates.

10. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    Mix starter food with a little warm water so it consistency of oatmeal.They really need nutrients from starter grower feed.

ChickNanny13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: