baby chick

AZUR

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2017
I had a neighbor stop by and drop off 5 baby chick that they purchased and thought they would raise it turned out to be more than they expected. Because I have a small flock of 19 chickens he ask if I would take them but that he thinks one was injured by the others. I told him to bring them over I would take them and do my best.
He brought 5 chicks - I am guessing 6 weeks old --he had no idea on the age of them. The one in question held its head down all the time but would eat I have to help it drink. if stubble a bit. so reading up I believe it has Wye neck and treated it this morning with Poly Vi Sol

It now seems to be worse -- heavy breathing and eyes shut. Any suggestions I am doing all I can to help it but not sure what to do next

I had a neighbor stop by and drop off 5 baby chick that they purchased and thought they would raise it turned out to be more than they expected. Because I have a small flock of 19 chickens he ask if I would take them but that he thinks one was injured by the others. I told him to bring them over I would take them and do my best.
He brought 5 chicks - I am guessing 6 weeks old --he had no idea on the age of them. The one in question held its head down all the time but would eat I have to help it drink. if stubble a bit. so reading up I believe it has Wye neck and treated it this morning with Poly Vi Sol

It now seems to be worse -- heavy breathing and eyes shut. Any suggestions I am doing all I can to help it but not sure what to do next

Hi ,
Heavy breathing could be a respiratory INFECTION kindly check the nose and eyes for any discharge is there any rattling during breathing

there is a little rattling I have some Vet RX I wiped a little on it nostrils but there is no discharge and the eyes are clear

I would isolate from the flock any ill ones with separate food/water. I would add sav a chick electrolytes to the water daily while ill. No treats. Keep chic grit available. Need to dip beak in carefully if not going to water. Would recommend seeing a vet if able. Here is a resource for wry neck. But could also be Mareks which often times is supportive care. Here nutrition with vitamins is important. See article or vitamins to beef up.
https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/preventing-and-treating-wry-neck-in.html?m=1

I have now seperated the chick

What are stools like any other symptoms new other than mentioned. Getting better or worse? Taking water with sav a chick electrolytes and vitamins yet?

thank you I just read that and I don't think that is it but I will take all precautions as if it may be at least until I know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom