Baby chick

hannahselby94

Chirping
Jun 11, 2018
this baby pipped yesterday. It’s still not fully out of its shell. I have it under a heat lamp and moist cloth for humidity since I don’t have a incubator. This morning I found baby maggots all in it and used a cotton swab to get them out and it still has a weird odor. What should I do should it have fully hatched already

Attachments

• 70D1A433-D756-4391-AA91-863AFD2A50F2.jpeg
    70D1A433-D756-4391-AA91-863AFD2A50F2.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 10
It often takes a while for them to fully hatch and gain their energy. They use a lot to hatch. As for the maggots, were they I would keep watching to make sure there are no more. I would remove the moist cloth looks like it is mostly hatched and you could cause the chick to get to cold.

this baby pipped yesterday. It’s still not fully out of its shell. I have it under a heat lamp and moist cloth for humidity since I don’t have a incubator. This morning I found baby maggots all in it and used a cotton swab to get them out and it still has a weird odor. What should I do should it have fully hatched already
It often takes a while for them to fully hatch and gain their energy. They use a lot to hatch. As for the maggots, were they I would keep watching to make sure there are no more. I would remove the moist cloth looks like it is mostly hatched and you could cause the chick to get to cold.

If I take the cloth out it gets super super dry. Should I try assisting it?

Has the yolk been absorbed? Looks like you may be able to see. If it is I would finish helping it. If not just wait until it is. Keep the cloth close but not wrapped around it if it gets to dry.

What kind of a container do u have it in. I had to use a heat lamp to finish two that a broody left before they hatched. I had mine in a styrofoam cooler and had a cup of water in there to help with humidity.

Back
Top Bottom