Baby Chick

mcdaid72000

Chirping
Jul 19, 2018
Had a hen get broody over 3 weeks ago setting on 12 eggs removed 4 eggs b/c those didn't candle well. Had 1 egg hatch this past Thursday. No other eggs have hatched and down to two eggs that I thought might hatch, but haven't, so assume have to throw those eggs out soon.

Attachments

• 20190919_185228.jpg
    20190919_185228.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 16
Had a hen get broody over 3 weeks ago setting on 12 eggs removed 4 eggs b/c those didn't candle well. Had 1 egg hatch this past Thursday. No other eggs have hatched and down to two eggs that I thought might hatch, but haven't, so assume have to throw those eggs out soon.
what a cute baby chick, I don't bother candling unless momma kicks and egg out or gets off the nest with the ones that have hatched out

You say "over three weeks ago." Were all the eggs set at the same time? Did you mark them in some way so you would know? Did you take away any other eggs that might have been laid after that? If you are sure all the eggs are over 22 or 23 days old, discard them. They may break or explode and you don't EVEN want to deal with that smell!

You say "over three weeks ago." Were all the eggs set at the same time? Did you mark them in some way so you would know? Did you take away any other eggs that might have been laid after that? If you are sure all the eggs are over 22 or 23 days old, discard them. They may break or explode and you don't EVEN want to deal with that smell!

Yeah, I knew they were older than 21 days old and pretty sure they were older than 23 days old. Didn't get to mark them probably should have done that, but already discarded the last two eggs. Also didn't want the eggs to explode. I have dealt with those during Spring of this year very smelly indeed. Have to remember to mark them when I do it again during Spring. Next thing I have to do is sex the chick. I looked at feathers and saw a long feather followed by a shorter feather and it repeated, but will redo when chick is 2 weeks old. So for time being baby chick is a hen

Back
Top Bottom