1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by puddinswamp2, Jul 5, 2011.

1. puddinswamp2

puddinswamp2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    sc
    My hen hatched her babies in the yard there 2 days old, I was wondering when I could move them in a cage, so nothing will get them.

2. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Now. She'll be fine with it, just make sure she comes with you! Are they all hatched out?

3. puddinswamp2

puddinswamp2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    sc
    Im just scard to handle them, she might kill them, I picked up a baby chick one time and the mother pecked its neck and it died. Ill try rubber gloves.

4. Saskia

Saskia Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2010
    I'm planning to just leave the baby chicks with their mom in the coop (it's secure from preditors) with the other 3 hens and let them all do their thing. Hoping nothing bad happens. Is this a bad plan?? hatch day is one week away

5. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, with regards to handling chicks I find that if the mother is tame and used to you it's okay. I have chicks hatching/hatched today and have already picked them up and given the once over. I see the broody every day and stroke her as she's not aggressive and I think that's what makes her okay with me picking up the chicks, I also keep them in view of mother when handling so when I put them back she knows they are hers. When allowing chicks and mum with other hens it's best to either seperate or check when mum first comes out in the run to make sure the other hens don't pick on the chicks. I'm lucky in that my rooster protects mummy and chicks from other hens picking on them, then they're okay after a couple of days :) hope this helps

6. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Quote:This reminds me what people say about wild ducks that if you find a duckling and pick it up that the mother will reject it. Chickens, from everything that I've seen from my own, normally don't have an issue with their human mommies (or daddys) picking them up. I've had 4 hatch out today and I've picked them all up to make sure everyone is good and the mom has no issue with me touching them and gladly accepts them back from me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by