Baby chicken acting weird HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmer kell, Jan 30, 2013.

1. farmer kell

farmer kell New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    I have a baby chicken she is about a week old now. She has been acting a lil strange. She will start chirping real loud and scrating herself beside her face. I think i see a little sore but im not for sure. I put a lil peroxide and it did bubble a little. That maybe all it is but i was wondering . Do they get ear infections? ANd could that be cause her some discomfort and maybe thats why she freakin out.

2. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she maybe have mites or something on her? Or maybe she has something in her ear. If she has mites, it could be that there are some in her ear. Kindof like cats get ear mites. It's just a thought, but I would imagine that chickens can also get ear infections. I would think that something is going on with her ear, and the sore on her face probably came from her trying to scratch her ear because something is in there. It's just a guess, but my rooster scratched his ear also a few days ago, and it got infected and I had to put neosporin on it. It was his ear, and I now think it was because of mites. The neosporin has pretty much healed it up though. It's probably a good idea to keep the sore cleaned with the peroxide to keep it from getting infected, you know their feet are pretty dirty, and a scratch could become badly infected with bacteria if not kept clean and treated, but I don't know how you would see if there's anything in that little bitty ear, so I would just suggest that you check for some kind of mites or something on her that may be getting in the ear. Someone else may have a better idea. Hope you find out whats going on, but I would think she's chirping and scratching cause something is bothering her where she's scratching at. Good Luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by