Baby chicken can't walk and isn't growing!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chloe oxman, Oct 8, 2013.

1. chloe oxman

chloe oxman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I hatched about 17 chicks a few weeks ago. This particular chicken was one of the last to hatch. About 4 hours after hatching I noticed he couldn't stand properly. Being my first time hatching chickens, I wasn't sure what was going on with him so I did some research. Turns out he has splayed legs. I was told to hobble his legs to try and make him stand but that hasn't worked. I gave him extensive therapy to try and get his strength back in his legs but still nothing. It has been about 3-4 weeks now and he still can't walk. He has figures out his own was to waddle around places but he doesn't go very far. He can eat fine but he can't keep his balance to drink from a water bowl like the other chicks do so I feed him by hand to keep him hydrated. He is also extremely small. He is still about the same size he was when he was born. I think it's due to the lack of exercise. I'm so worried he is going to die because he isn't growing and can't walk. He seems happy and doesn't seem to be In pain but I'm so scared of losing him. He is like my child. I have grown so attached to him. I would be heart broken if he passed on. So please. Help me. What can I do to help him walk properly again and start growing. I just don't know what else to do. :( help!!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chicks just have some internal problem that prevents them from growing properly. Unfortunately, in such cases there is nothing you can do besides make sure it eats, drinks, isn't picked on, and just hope for the best. I once had a chick like yours who stopped growing at 3 weeks of age. She continued to be happy, and eventually began to get larger until her sudden death at 12 weeks. In her case, I think the problem was a bad reaction to a Marek's disease vaccination I gave her, as she lost feathers on the injection area and developed scabby, irritated skin. It is hard, though, as for some reason people (including me) always get attached to the weak, tiny ones who have trouble living.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. Some chicks are just runts. Some grow up into beautiful chickens, and others die.

4. chloe oxman

Oct 8, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The two chickens pictured are brothers. They were born at the same time but now are extremely different sizes. The smaller one is the one that can't walk. His legs just sit out like that when he isn't hobbled. The first pictures posted were taken a few days after he was born and now (3-4 weeks later) he is still pretty much the same size. :( I'm going to the pet store tomorrow to get a new feed and some sort of mineral supplement that he can have to help him, hopefully. I am making him boots and will trail them tomorrow to try and flatten out his feet. Will post pictures when I can. Thanks for all your help guys. Just hope it all works out and he makes a full recovery and he gets to live a happy long life as not only a pet chicken but as a part of the family. <3

1 person likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's difficult to put a chick out of it's misery, but sometimes it needs to be done when I see that they are not going to make it. Chickens need to be independent and not have to be hand-fed. I will try and save a weak chick or splay-legged chick for a couple of days, but if they can't stand on their own in 3 days I will put them down with equal parts vinegar and baking soda in a small container.

6. chloe oxman

Oct 8, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forrest with his new shoes on. Still not walking flat on them but at least his feet are now in the right place and not curled under each other. He seems a lot more comfy then before.
    On another note, he seems to not be getting enough energy from his feed. He won't eat his normal pellet stuff. So I have made him a mash that should get his energy back up. I will change his pellets tomorrow as well to something with more vitamins in it. Hopefully it all pays off. Just seems to be one thing after another. But he is a fighter. He is still hanging in there. I'm not giving up till the last moment.

7. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Good luck...be praying for him...we do tend to attach to the weak and sickly...but I admire your bull dog determination to stick it out til its over...you go girl

8. tatertot

Aug 20, 2013
    do you feed it to them

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    No, no. You place them in a small container and add it, then close the lid tightly. It creates a gas that euthanizes them in a minute or two. A coffee can or yogurt container will work for a chick.

10. tatertot

Aug 20, 2013
    Oh...I see...not sure I could do that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by