Baby chicken can't walk and won't grow.

chloe oxman

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I hatched about 17 chicks a few weeks ago. This particular chicken was one of the last to hatch. About 4 hours after hatching I noticed he couldn't stand properly. Being my first time hatching chickens, I wasn't sure what was going on with him so I did some research. Turns out he has splayed legs. I was told to hobble his legs to try and make him stand but that hasn't worked. I gave him extensive therapy to try and get his strength back in his legs but still nothing. It has been about 3-4 weeks now and he still can't walk. He has figures out his own was to waddle around places but he doesn't go very far. He can eat fine but he can't keep his balance to drink from a water bowl like the other chicks do so I feed him by hand to keep him hydrated. He is also extremely small. He is still about the same size he was when he was born. I think it's due to the lack of exercise. I'm so worried he is going to die because he isn't growing and can't walk. He seems happy and doesn't seem to be In pain but I'm so scared of losing him. He is like my child. I have grown so attached to him. I would be heart broken if he passed on. So please. Help me. What can I do to help him walk properly again and start growing. I just don't know what else to do. :( help!!!!!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Aww, he's beautiful! Have you looked at this site yet:

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

I think this chick would benefit from a chick chair of some sort, that will keep it upright, especially when it needs to eat and drink. Here's what some of our members did:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/396766/chick-not-thriving-chick-chair

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/699865/baby-butter

To encourage him to grow, give the little one high protein snacks along with it's chick crumbs, boiled egg is excellent, as well as some vitamin supplements in it's water now and then for a boost. Infant vitamin-mineral supplements (one without Iron) is good. Best of luck!

Thanks a heap guys. I figured out how to put it in the right category so it's in there now.
I will check out those websites now. I'm willing to put the time and effort Into saving him. He has such a personality. He is the cutest thing you have ever seen. Definitely worth all the trouble. Hopefully it all works out. Thanks again guys. :)

Good luck with him. I had a special chick once, her name was Joy. She didn't want to grow, she had some problems, and she only lived 5 months, but she brought me nothing but Joy during her short life. Your little one reminded me of her. Sometimes you get a chick that needs a little extra attention, that is special in some way and they quickly get close to your heart and stay there. I hope yours will grow and thrive and bring you joy for a long time.

That's too cute. Thanks. I hoping he lasts a long time too. I have never loved an animal so much. Would be lost without him. He is truly the highl:)ight of my day. :)

welcome-byc.gif
some time ago read of a very creative kid who configured a chick walker out of lego blocks that helped their chick . Another propped her chick upright in a cup and made a paper tray around part of the top so the chick could eat easily. The baby "Butter" story is especially heartwarming and true. Don't give up.

Back
Top Bottom