Baby chicken can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by philong102, Jan 23, 2016.

1. philong102

philong102 New Egg

Jan 23, 2016
    I have a new born baby chicken of 6 that can not walk it was hatched a day and half late. Since it was late at being hatched so I helped it come out to find it still alive and squeaking, so I kept it in the egg incubator to warm it up then washed it after 5 mins, and placed into a box with paper towels and light to keep it warm. I started to notice it trying to flop around like the other baby chickens but I couldn't go anywhere but wobbled left and right. I don't think it has spraddle legs. please help

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    How is the chick doing today?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Try giving the chick SaveAChick or other brands of vitamins and electrolytes, and dip it's beak into the water frequently. Poultry Nutridrench 1 ml orally per day is a good alternative, but still needs to drink water. Try putting it in a chick chair or sling to get it upright with legs touching the floor. Sometimes these chicks don't get better, but you can try for a few days to get it walking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by