baby chicken died

kimmyken10

Chirping
Aug 16, 2021
XENIA, OHIO
Hello, i am new to this page. I have a question, my silkie hen layed five eggs only one hatched. yesterday it was a week old. I was cleaning out the coop and the baby got hit by the door from the wind, and it killed it. I am so upset and cried all day blaming myself. I feel horrible he was so cute. I am worried about momma, she went back and sit on the other eggs that i was going to get rid of. What should i do with her. Should i give her fresh eggs to sit on she still seems broody. I cant quit crying about this and i am new at raising chickens. Thanks everyone.

Kim

I'm so sorry. :hugs I have had that happen before when a single hatch accidentally drowned in a large water bowl. In my opinion, I wouldn't let a hen sit for two sets in a row as being broody is quite harsh on their health. I'd take away the eggs and discourage her from setting.

I'm so sorry. :hugs I have had that happen before when a single hatch accidentally drowned in a large water bowl. In my opinion, I wouldn't let a hen sit for two sets in a row as being broody is quite harsh on their health. I'd take away the eggs and discourage her from setting.
she has been eating alot and drinking since the baby, she was such a good mom for her first time. I feel so bad for her, she was still sitting on egss even after the baby got here.

thank you, i am devastated over this. momma has been eating good and drinking and still goes back and sits on those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom