1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

(Baby)Chicken frenzy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leghorn, May 24, 2007.

1. leghorn

leghorn Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Sparta, TN
  2. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    That's really sweet to watch! I gave my week old chicks 100 mealworms and they were gone as fast as I put them in the pen. They kept looking for more and they still (3 days later) pick up pieces of the pine bedding and squawk as if they have a treat. I could sit and watch them all day. Too bad I have a paid job I have to go to. lol:

3. Cheeks

Cheeks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Ohio
    awww! theyre adorable!
    i wish mine were still babies [​IMG]

post more videos!

4. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    I love the video. Your chicks are so adorable!

We've been planting our seedlings, and in prepping the garden beds, we're finding tons of grubs. Our girls (3 weeks old, and less than 1 week old) are outside in a makeshift pen on the lawn, so after we collect a few, we head over there and lower our hand with the grubs in. They go insane, knocking each other over to get to our hands and peck off the tasty treat.

Also, we've found caterpillars, mealworms, millipedes, termites (?) and inchworms. The only thing I"ve noticed is that they don't really seem to go for ants. What's with that?

5. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    How funny - I didn't even see a grasshopper in there! [​IMG]

6. leghorn

May 11, 2007
    Sparta, TN
    If you look close in the bottom left hand corner, you can see the 2 black babies(barred rocks) fighting over it.[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

wow, your bin is clean! How often do you have to clean it to keep it that way? My feeders get encursted in poo instantly, and they are in 4 by 8 run!

8. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Thanks for the video! It makes me realy excited for my new chickies! I can't wait for them to be here!
    Totally cute chicks too!
    Kristyne

9. Malibufarmer

Malibufarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2007
    lol we have the same avater.
    cute chicks by the way

10. leghorn

May 11, 2007
    Sparta, TN
    I usually clean it out every other day. But change the feed/feeder daily, since they scratch the pine shavings into it and make it really hard to find the feed. The water I have to clean and refill about 3 to 4 times a day. Those babies sure dring alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by