Baby chicken hurt!!!

delvallechickens

Chirping
Apr 21, 2022
I have a baby chick that a cat ate the wing off . I want to know if there is anything I can do because there isn't any vet near me. I'm not sure if any bone is exposed but it still tries to stand up to eat and tries to walk. And it also opens its eyes as nothing happens but it still closes its eyes most of the time and it happened yesterday so it survived throughout the night.

Isolate this chick away from the others, you want a warm and calm area to exist while healing. This also stops other chicks from picking the wound. Provide water with electrolites in it, do not provide food at this time (treating for shock)

How bad is the bleeding/wound? Pictures will help here. Don't move things around to get pictures, just do the best you can without disturbing.

Isolate this chick away from the others, you want a warm and calm area to exist while healing. This also stops other chicks from picking the wound. Provide water with electrolites in it, do not provide food at this time (treating for shock)

How bad is the bleeding/wound? Pictures will help here. Don't move things around to get pictures, just do the best you can without disturbing.
The wound stopped bleeding and currently, he stands up to eat and tries to walk. I also put him in a box away from the others since i didn't have anywhere else to put him

Attachments

• WIN_20220421_11_32_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220421_11_32_11_Pro.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 3
I have a baby chick that a cat ate the wing off . I want to know if there is anything I can do because there isn't any vet near me. I'm not sure if any bone is exposed but it still tries to stand up to eat and tries to walk. And it also opens its eyes as nothing happens but it still closes its eyes most of the time and it happened yesterday so it survived throughout the night.

I put some type of thing on the wound so it could not get infected.
Do you have a parent, neighbor, friend or relative that can help you access the wound on this chick, up close and personal to determine if you need to continue with treatment or if you need to put her out of her misery?

What is ""some type of thing"" that you put on the wound?

Clearer photos may help.

While you are getting some help, the chick needs to be kept warm. Work on hydration, give her drops of electrolytes or warmed sugar water.

So to confirm, the wing is GONE? As in, all flesh and bone up to the shoulder is no longer on the bird?

And yea, you will want to get some kind of heater on this one ASAP. Being wet and missing feathers will be very easy to get a chill. You will want this box to run around 90-100F to keep this one stable.

So to confirm, the wing is GONE? As in, all flesh and bone up to the shoulder is no longer on the bird?

And yea, you will want to get some kind of heater on this one ASAP. Being wet and missing feathers will be very easy to get a chill. You will want this box to run around 90-100F to keep this one stable.
yes

Back
Top Bottom