Baby chicken mama.... Nana the nanny cochin -

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mojo Chick'n, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Heya all - had to share for those who don't read the posts on Kentucky People, LOL.

It has been cold here the last couple of nights, and I have some smallish jap pullets - I lost one to the cold, didn't get the heat lamp out there turned on soon enough (my bad) and I had one little pullet left (and three slightly larger japs). Well, the one pullet died last night about 11:30, and when I took her out, Nana, my bantam cochin pullet (who is only probably about 9 weeks) came over to snuggle with the baby that was left to keep it warm.

Now, that baby survived the night and acted fine today, so I turned off the lamp during the evening for a bit because the coop got HOT inside, and I turned it back on when I closed the coop for the night. But I plugged in the wrong dang cord!!

I didn't notice until about 9:30-ish. I went out to plug it in properly and couldn't find the baby jap. The three larger ones were all up on a shelf huddled up - but no baby.

I finally found her - underneath Nana. LOL Nana had covered this baby almost completely with her own body to try to keep it warm. She is gonna make such a good mama!!

I can't wait to see her with her own babies someday!!

I turned the lamp back on and it ought to be heating up good in there, but it was just so darn cute I had to share with ya.

Peace -
    Meriah

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Awww, thats priceless! I posted on the KY people, but never read your posts. Thats amazing!

She will be a great mom! You should take some pictures and post them. [​IMG]

3. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:LOL Just went back out to check on that baby, and she is up and running around under the lamp - she is fine (I was worried, since I killed the other one). Nana is also under the lamp, trying to get the jap baby back down to go to sleep by pulling at it with her beak - trying to tuck it back underneath her, tee hee. [​IMG] she is peeping at the jap baby and standing under the lamp with this disgusted little cochin look on her face [​IMG] You can almost see her "hands" on her hips.

I just laughed at Nana, and told her to wait til she has more than one to corral.

I really LOVE that chicken - she's my fave.

ETA - there are two Kentucky forum posts - one is just Kentucky, and one is Kentucky People - maybe we're posting on dif posts? .

Peace -
    Meri

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Is Nana a bantam or standard Cochin?

5. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:She's a bantam - maybe a little bigger than the other little chick at the moment. More fluff, though, so she looks a lot bigger.

She looks bigger in this pic than she really is, I was pretty close to her when I took this - she only stands about 4 or 5 inches tall right now.

[​IMG]

Peace -
    Meri

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awwww, how cute !!!!! She is so nice to help the baby stay warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by