Baby Chicken Massacre, One Chick Left. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickensNCats, Jun 18, 2016.

1. ChickensNCats

ChickensNCats New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    I'm new to the forums, and hoped to get some advice.
    I recently recieved six chicks from a friend, and introduced them to my older flock of four a few weeks ago. Everything was going smoothly up until Friday morning- when I awoke to five chicks vanishing without a trace. Using security footage I found and killed the culprit (a huge coon), but don't know what to do with my one surviving chick. I have no idea what gender it is. Whenever I go to the coop it is panicked, flying around and running from my older hens (who like to peck and chase it). I'm not sure what to do. Should I get more chicks? Leave it be? Let it go (I don't think I have the heart to though..)? Please help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Place it in a cage within your coop, and keep it with the other chickens outside in the cage during the day. When he/she is closer to their size, then let it out with the others. If you can locally find healthy chicks the same age, you could get a couple for company. Most chicks hang with similar aged chicks. Please make sure that your coop is locked at night and no predators can get inside. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by