1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicken who can't walk very well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Park, May 30, 2016.

1. Park

Park New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    I have a two day old chick who seems to have a problem with with his feet. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. xCombixGirlx

xCombixGirlx Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    Procious, West Virginia
    In what way is it walking funny? like it's trying to walk but can't stand up? it's feet seem to look fine, might be a case of splay or spraddle leg. if that is the case since it's so young it can be corrected in about 24 hours :)
    EDIT: ahh i misread that. sorry. does it's feet seem to curl when it tries to walk? that can also be corrected by making it little "shoes" to help keep it's feet flat

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  3. Park

Park New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    I tried putting a band through a straw but its foot keeps turning backward.

4. xCombixGirlx

xCombixGirlx Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    Procious, West Virginia
    ifi ti leg is actually turning you can try taking some small sticks of even a strong piece of cardboard and some vet wraps or even bandages and make a splint for the leg to stabilize it just like you would do in a human. a stick or cardboard on each side and wrap it, just make sure it's secure but not to tight obviously. I hope everything works out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by