Baby chicken with dark mass below vent

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hanlea, Jan 8, 2017.

1. hanlea

hanlea Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    Hi everyone, and help....

This is the second chick that I have had come up with this mass. The first one I think already had it before I was given the babies, and I had to take him to the vet to get gently sent to chick heaven.
    That was two days ago, I was putting the babies to bed and as always gave them a wee snuggle and checked them over and in doing so notices a small mass (well smaller than the other chick had but still a large mass in itself) also starting below the vent area.

It is internal, not like a cyst or sore or pecking symptoms or pasty bum. Baby is eating and drinking all enthusiastically and keeping up with the siblings, not lethargic so far, flaps and runs and jumps and cuddles are all normal. No other marks, lumps or bumps on the body. No abnormal smells so far either. No weeping no blood and poos seem as normal as other siblings.

I will try and attach some photos from the phone after I post this from the computer as typing is easier from here, but photos were taken on the phone.

Age wise the chick is pushing its second week. They always have access to clean water, chick feed and warmth, along with freedom supervised in the grass and dusty baths in the dirt. These wee excursions are definitely their favourite.

So a bit more about the lump. I have compared to the other babies bums and they are all normal and no dark patches or beginnings of lumps. It is internal and sits on the lower section of bum well below the vent. It is hard/firm to touch/squeeze gently, but doesn't seem to release anything or weep or given in to some gentle pressure in any way. No smells like I mentioned and no pasty butt signs either.

Ill have to get you to refer to the photos for a better idea of placement and appearance.

I have googled my fingers off and have not found one thread online or on this page that seems remotely the same, the closest is a cyst but it isn't, and with the first baby the vet agreed it wasn't a cyst and we wrote it off as a birth deformity internally. But now this second chick has the beginnings of one I need to solve this mystery. I haven't booked in at the vets just yet as it is getting costly, and instead seek fellow chicken collecting lovers for help first.

I hope someone has some answers or suggestions,

Going clucky here,
    Hannah

2. hanlea

hanlea Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. hanlea

hanlea Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. hanlea

hanlea Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I second CTKen's suggestion to post on the ER thread (along with your pictures). Hopefully someone there can give you some answers.

Best wishes and thanks for joining us!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

X3 on the advice of CTKen. Best wishes!

8. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! I wonder if it was the navel and it didn't regress properly. The navel is attached to the chick just below the vent. Before it hatches it's suppose to go inside the body.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wonder if it is a hernia of sorts. Did you go to an avian vet? The chick sounds to be doing very well.

10. hanlea

hanlea Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016

I don't think it is anything aping those lines. Before my discovery of the lump the day before it wasn't there in my usual body checks on the chicks. It only seems to have popped up now. Its definitely internal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by