BABY CHICKEN WON'T STOP PEEPING PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seasey, Apr 17, 2017.

1. seasey

seasey Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    The first day she was fine. Now she chirps nonstop. My sister held her for about 10 minutes the first day. She wouldnt stop xhirping after that. Is she sick or does she just want a mama. She didnt really eat that good or drink well. She is now as ive seen. I dont think her butt is pasty at all. Im going to check today. I have 8 chicks. Theyre all about 1 week old. The chicken im talking about is the smallest out of all of them. It could be possibly she's getting bullied. I dont know whats up. Here is this video.[VIDEO]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Could be too cold or too warm.

3. seasey

seasey Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    It sits there with it's eyes closed, standing, and peeps loudly, it will stop sometimes, but start right back up.

4. seasey

seasey Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    It hasn't gotten better, I don't think it poops. But it's booty isn't pasty. I think it might be constipated. I might try mineral oil tomorrow, but I'm getting scared. It almost stops when I pick her up. It makes small peeps and sometimes trills. They seem somewhat forced though, any hints maybe?

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sound like it got cold...:(....If chicks get cold they can suffer from starve out....They spend too much time trying to get warm...Yes, they peep lots if cold and hungry....:(

Best of luck....

6. seasey

seasey Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    Sadly, she passed. Poor baby, this is my first batch of 8. TSC told me they sometimes won't make it anyways. They say they always come in to passed chickies. I'm very sad about her. It's sometimes not fair what can happen to a poor chickster. Anyway, thank you all for your help. The other 7 are marvelous. One had a pasty booty. Scared the heck right outta me when it just pooped all over. Thank you again! Much love from Tennessee!

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some animals just aren't hardy. Survival of the fittest. The same would be true of human babies if they weren't surrounded by doctors, nurses and millions of dollars of medical equipment in the maternity ward.
    I imagine that 10,000 years ago, babies died at about the same rate as well cared for chicks maybe more since chicks are precocial and humans are secondarily altricial.
    ETA
    http://andymatic.com/humans-are-altricial-and-precocial/

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by