Baby chicken

DuckysGran

Chirping
Apr 25, 2016
I have a 1 month old indoor chicken (pet) that yawns a lot! Is that normal, she/he doesn't seem to be in distress at all just yawns!

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Is she still yawning this morning? Lots of things can cause them to yawn, from a feather or some other particulate stuck in their throats, certain noises like rumbling of lawn mowers to airplanes, even thunder will make them yawn. Generally it is not an issue. But keep us posted if it continues.

Good luck with your baby!

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Is she still yawning this morning? Lots of things can cause them to yawn, from a feather or some other particulate stuck in their throats, certain noises like rumbling of lawn mowers to airplanes, even thunder will make them yawn. Generally it is not an issue. But keep us posted if it continues.

Good luck with your baby! 

Thank you! She really only yawns in the evening that I know of and there are no other symptoms of anything, she's a pet and my 7 yr old is very attached so I want to make sure we do everything right!

Last edited:
So I got Ducky out of his pen tonight now he jumps up and then down about 1 foot to get out of his pen but he then threw up and it was kind of clear and slimey like thick. I've never been around a chicken before he/she is a little over a month old is this normal?

It all depends...if they just got done drinking a lot of water, it can come back up easily.

A chicken should go to bed with a full crop and the crop should be completely empty in the morning. (The crop is located on the birds right side of the breast.) The crop is a storage tank for food waiting to be digested. So it should be full at bedtime so the bird has enough calories to get through the night. It should be completely empty by morning. If it is not empty, and the bird has not had access to food, then there is a problem....food can come back up...slow and or sour crop.

So...tonight, take away all food at bedtime. Feel her right breast for fullness. There should be a lump in her crop. First thing tomorrow morning, before she has eaten or drank any water, feel her crop again...it should be empty. If it still has something in it, then there is a problem.

So do this and keep us posted! I sure hope she is ok! :)

Thanks! She's stopped now and is just walking around acting fine. I know I sound crazy but I have no clue and my 7 yr old loves her so much and I have no idea what to do with a chicken! I would take a dog or cat to a vet. She's very much an inside chicken so it's just a weird situation!

Thanks! She's stopped now and is just walking around acting fine. I know I sound crazy but I have no clue and my 7 yr old loves her so much and I have no idea what to do with a chicken! I would take a dog or cat to a vet. She's very much an inside chicken so it's just a weird situation!
You might stop by our learning center and do some reading. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Click on a section and then you can click on an individual section for all kinds of articles about things. Browse around when you have time. There are loads of articles worth reading so you can understand your bird that will help you in the future.

There is also a good thread on House Chickens...those that keep a chicken in the house and how they raise them inside. You might want to join in on this thread for help and support from others with indoor chickens..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Last night I felt her "crop" or chest and it felt boney, maybe I was feeling the wrong spot but it didn't feel full, she stopped the throwing up (which was a kind is slimy yellowish fluid, when I say throw up, in all the entire night may have been 2 tablespoons if that) I'm assuming and hoping she just over drank and then being excited that my little girl was home she just let it out. I'll see how she does today, she didn't do much of the yawning last night at all and was eating and drinking this morning before I left for work. Being a "pet" and never being near a chicken before I have nothing to compare anything to but after reading up on this stuff I'm going to just watch her. Hopefully she's ok, I think she needs to be outside during the day getting sunshine but right now she's indoors which may not be so good for her!

Back
Top Bottom