Baby chickens are addictive!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JellyBeanCee, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JellyBeanCee

JellyBeanCee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So I've had my 3 new babies for a little less than a week. They were hatched a week ago today. I am soooo enjoying watching them play and figure out things in their little brooder. They are all currently working out how to use the little tree branch in there. It's pretty much just on the floor and they hop on and off of it. It's so hard to come to work when I want to stay at home and watch them. I'll try to post new week old pictures soon.

Now I have a new worry with them. Was going to build a chicken tractor and now am wondering if a stationary coop would be best for security. We hadn't seen any predators at all and suddenly we now have a very unafraid possum and also in the area a raccoon and coyote. Ugh! Worry, fret, grumblecakes!

Back to thinking about what the babies are getting up to at home. [​IMG]

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    YES THEY ARE [​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I've had my chicks for one week and I can't stand to be away from them. I <3 chicks

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yes they are. And you will find big chickens are addictive, and fun to watch, too. If you are aloud to keep more than 3, build a stationay coop that is big enough for more chickens.

5. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

They are! So sorry I can't help you.. I have the chick sickness too! [​IMG]

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    My one neighbor is the best! whenever the chicks get big he brings me more!!!!!!!
    Unfortunately its usually because something killed the hen. Which brings me to your coop.
    You are definetely right in rethinking that design, esp since you have the worst predator to chickens, a coon. They can open latches too. It really can't be too safe, so I urge you in going all out and have an iron clad fortress, no holes, gaps or spaces, and you'll be a much happier chicken fanatic (and go as large as you can then larger - cause it sounds like your going to have to have more!!!!!!!!!!!

7. JellyBeanCee

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yeah....we're thinking now about putting it inside our very large dog yard...so critters would have to climb over a welded wire fence and then through whatever fortress of fowl we construct to get at them. We are allowed to have several chickens as we live out of the city a ways. It's a rental property but our landlord was perfectly fine with us having them and constructing a coop, so long as there were no roosters to disturb anyone in the area. I can't imagine more than 3 at the moment, but I'm sure I'll change my mind later. As it seems everyone on this forum does eventually. They are such great fun![​IMG]

8. Lady EE

Lady EE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    I'm going to have chicks soon! Due to hatch next week!

9. JellyBeanCee

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Quote:Yay! Congrats...can't wait to see pics! I am blowing so much time at work looking at all the pictures of babies and coops, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by