baby chickens laying on hot cement, WHY? pictures!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaylove, May 10, 2011.

1. kaylove

kaylove Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    They are the cutest things.. but i have never seen them do this. it was a bout 90 degrees outside and i took them out to play and they seemed to have liked it, i think. but they laid down like this..it waws so funny, can someone tell me why?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Sun bathing mine do it all the time.

3. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    When they lay with the wing out like that, they are warming themselves in the sun. They are pretty small and still have a lot of fuzz, so although it feels hot to us...it probably feels really nice to them.

4. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    LOL mine totally freaked me out when they did that the first time!!! I brought them out for the very first time a few weeks ago and when they stepped on the pavement they all dropped to their sides and just layed there?? [​IMG] I was like oh my gosh whats wrong with them... I would pick one back up and stand it up and it would drop down on its side again [​IMG] I thought maybe there was something wrong with them [​IMG] I started to get concerned when they wouldn't move finally they jumped up after about 10 mins [​IMG] they started running around the yard... whew so glad they were ok! Haha made me feel better~ But they do love that warmth!!!

5. kaylove

kaylove Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    oh! thanks, i know, i freaked out at first. but afterward an hour later..one passed away. i have no idea why. it was in its box with the food and water..im not sure if it dehydrated and didnt get to the water?? but the other baby was peeping and crying next to it. Burried the little one in my backyard it was so sad...[​IMG] i cant tell the sex of these little ones yet..but i am hoping for girls. the breeder told me they were 90% girls, but i dont know!

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    Thats a chickens version of a tanning bed [​IMG] if you have ever used a tanning bed in the winter you know that warm feeling for about 4 hours after tanning, same thing goes for chicks they are solaring up [​IMG]
    Cute photo thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:[​IMG] so sorry this happened . Sometimes this happens and we never know why, it's hard i know [​IMG] .

8. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    [​IMG] that is the cutest thing ive seen all day !!! definitely sunbathing !

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The sun makes them grow![​IMG]

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, dear. I'm sorry you lost one of your little ones.
    It's possible they overdid it out in the sun and gave themselves heat stroke. They may have just been young and not had the experience to comne out of the sun as they were getting hot.
    Does this mean you are down to one chick? If so your remaining baby will get very lonely; you should make an attempt to find a similar-aged buddy for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by