Baby chickens may be suffering from Cocci/pooping blood RESPOND ASAP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by James Blake, Mar 1, 2014.

1. James Blake

James Blake New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    Just today we decided to move our chicks that are about 6 weeks old into our garage. There were 6, but today we found one believed to be trampled to death. When we transported the chickens into their new coop inside the garage, one was fairly inactive. Normally they run away from us, but it just sat down when placed inside. After transferring water and food, I found it to be sitting as if about to die. There were bloody poops in several places. Concerned, I checked BackYard Chickens for what it may be. I came to the conclusion of them having Cocci. I quickly added Probiotics to their water. However, the chicken that was inactive before was now not responding to anything really. I kept picking it up, moving it towards the heat lamp, trying to open it's eyes. Hardly any response and very slow breathing. I tried force watering it some Probiotic water, but by the time I figured out how to open it's mouth (again with the help of BackYard Chickens) it's breathing has either stopped or gone so low I can not feel it anymore. I am not 100% sure if it is dead, although I am very sure. The other 4 chickens are still running away from me and seem ok for now. I cleaned up all the blood and poop that I could find. I am not sure whether I should leave the sick chicken in the hope that it is still alive, but extremely inactive, or throw it away. I really don't want to throw it away although I am sure it is a lost cause. However, if it is really needed for the survival of the others I will. I am giving them the Probiotic water too because I am extremely sure that they already have Cocci too. I need help on what else I should do. There are 6 total chicks. 4 I know are alive and don't seem sick, one that I am 100% sure is sick, and the one that we found presumably trampled (Dead).

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. If you can get to a Tractor Supply or other farm store and pick up Corid (amprollium or Ampromed.) It will be in the cattle section. Give 2 tsp liquid (or 1 1/2 tsp powder) per gallon of water for 5 days. If using the liqud Corid, I might give them all a drop or two undiluted asap. The problem with coccidiosis is that they will drink up to a point, and then stop drinking because of pain. They really need to be given the treatment.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. James Blake

James Blake New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    I am unable to go to any of the places to pick up the medicine. (Unable to drive and parents just left for a day+.) I gave them Sav-A-Chick probiotics as that is the only thing we had. We gave it to our first group of chicks when we first got them (They are all now laying eggs, however a winter storm killed one, and we were unable to get to it because the door to their coup had frozen shut/broke). However, we did not think to give it to these chicks when we first got them.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It doesn't sound as if the sick chick will make it, but you don't have to remove it. When you complete a 5 day course of Corid you can resume the probiotics and give them some chick vitamins for a few days. If you can't locate Corid tonight, Di-Methox or Sulmet may also be used, but they don't treat as many strains of cocci. If you can't locate any meds tonight, give them a little buttermilk or milk mixed with some chick feed to coat their intestines. Three weeks after Corid treatment, I would recommend a preventative treatment of 1/3 the dose for another 5 days. Here is an article on coccidiosis: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

5. James Blake

James Blake New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    The sick one has died. The rest still seem fine. I gave them the milk inside their food as we do not have any medicine besides the probiotics that I gave them today.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there a friend or neighbor with chickens or cattle who could loan you some Corid? Sorry for your loss. It would be best to get the medicine since they may stop drinking if they get sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by