Baby Chickens pecked bloddy by hens.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crateandpen, Jun 7, 2011.

1. crateandpen

crateandpen New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    [​IMG]I am trying to intoduce four 14wk old ee's to four 32 wk old isa browns. I've been trying for six weeks all ready and thigs are going badly. The isa browns chase them down. Today I went out to let the babies out and realized that the big chickens had pulled down the board that seperates them and it was awful. All but one of the babies have no tail feathers just bare bloddy chicken rumps. I am heartbroken. I sprayed them with this blue spray (sorry forgot the name - it's for livestock) they seem to be okay they are walking around drinking, eating etc. Do you think the problem may be that I have had them hidden behind a wood board. During the day I let the babies out into a seperate pen so they do get to see eachother, and I let them back in at night when the big chickens have already gone upstairs to roost. The babies almost always go right up the stairs and roost of the floor (not the poles) but they don't go hide in their make shift cage either. I am at a loss at this point. The baby that has no damage is definately a fiesty one, and he is the smallest so I am a wondering if the other babies are protecting her. Will the feathers grown back? Should I get some kind of see through cage for inside the coop? Is it possible that the big chickens are jealous of the extra attention that the babies get ?(I sometimes let the babies wander the yard) Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    You did the right thing by putting the Blue-Kote (I think that's what it's called) on them. It will help them from being picked again and to heal. Don't worry, their feathers will grow back, especially chicks since they are getting new feathers so often.

Are the ee's and the isa's together now, or did you separate them again? I'm not sure why they would try and attack all of the ee's like that, especially since they've been seeing each other a lot. If they are separated again, I would definitely try to have a see through cage for inside the coop, it wouldn't hurt. The only other thing I can think of is that they don't have as much space as they would like. I'm not criticizing you, sometimes chickens just get territorial and want more space. I'm almost positive this isn't the case, but I thought I'd throw it out there just to cover all the bases. Space is usually a big issue when introducing new birds. I usually integrate flocks by having them free range together for a little while. There's plenty of room to get away if someone gets too feisty, and it gets worked out. I'm not sure if this is an option for you or not, but if you can, it may make things easier next time.

Don't worry, you're doing all the right things [​IMG] Just stick to it, and one day they'll be pecking grass together side by side.

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I've had this problem with ISA browns too... They behave like warriors. There are a few ways around it that I've found work, though they're very fiddly.

The first thing I do is put all the ISA browns in a separate pen, e.g. a locked shed. This is where they stay for about 1-2 weeks so they lose their territoriality. It sounds cruel but of course isn't; I've got plenty of wire-fronted sheds where they still get light and have a good amount of room (just not the huge pen they're used to).

The younger birds are allowed to have full run of the main pen and the yard (or wherever the ISAs normally go) while the browns are locked up. This gives them confidence.

Then gradually I introduce the ISAs back to the new flock... One at a time, ready to pull them back out if they go overboard again. What often happens is the younger birds see the pen as their own territory and turn the tables for a while. Sometimes it stays this way; sometimes the older hens get the upper hand again; and other times it just balances out.

Good luck; I'm sure you'll find a way. Sometimes there just have to be squabbles but I think you did the right thing intervening when you did. [​IMG]

Best wishes,
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by