Baby Chicks - 3 days Old with worms? Pictures Attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JohnHenry, Mar 2, 2012.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Somerville
    I have 5 day old chicks and found what looks like 1-3 inch worms on the paper towels in the bottom of the brooder. Are they worms or umbilical cords?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. joliver77

joliver77 Out Of The Brooder

my chicks are about 5 days old as well.. That does not look like cords to me! I am no expert!
    What are you feeding them and is it medicated.
    It doesnt look like worms, do they move? looks like poop but mine are pooping greenish watery poo.
    Interested to see what you may find out! Keep me posted

3. JohnHenry

Mar 3, 2011
    Somerville
    I'm feeding them medicated starter feed from the coop. They started out pooping short greenish poop as well and last night the weakest one died but the others seem fine but those things freaked me out.

4. joliver77

joliver77 Out Of The Brooder

boil some eggs and feed the yoke to the chicks. this will give them a bost of protien and maybe help fight of whatever might be happening. Only do this a few times a week.
    They will love it.

5. JohnHenry

Mar 3, 2011
    Somerville
    Thanks Joliver77. I have already scrabbled an egg the last two days and let them eat it a few times a day, maybe too much? I have also given them some plain yogurt.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They arnt worms. It's poop.

7. JohnHenry

Mar 3, 2011
    Somerville
    Thanks dawg. Is it OK poop?

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    5 days old? I would make them a wet mash out of chick crumbles and water. If they gobble that up, they may be hungry, and the crumbles too big.

9. JohnHenry

Mar 3, 2011
    Somerville
    OK, I'll try wet mash. I did put the crumbles through the food processor to make them smaller as well.

10. well, if you could pick them up and put them on the paper towel, then i would say worms..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by