baby chicks 4 weeks old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fluffyshix, Mar 20, 2017.

1. fluffyshix

fluffyshix New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Texas
    Today i went to check on the babies and they have been pecking at each other , i have checked for any bugs nothing i change everything daily and change water at least once a day , why are they doing this and what can i do ? do i separate them I have a total of 25 in a long wire rabbit cage not sure of the measurements but we have had chicks in there before and did fine ? confused

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What are the measurements of the cage? I raise 25 chicks in a 4 ft X 4ft brooder on the floor, and after 3 weeks, that becomes too small. At 4 weeks they are beginning to start arranging their pecking order, so a little pecking is to be expected. But I would make sure they have plenty of room to spread out, and if you are using heat, make sure of the temperature that it is not too hot.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. fluffyshix

fluffyshix New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Texas
    This is what we have used in the past , it is 46.9x22.8x24 inches , we even have had guineas in this should i take the ones that are injured out to a different area.... do you think it might be that they are all hens?

[​IMG]

4. fluffyshix

fluffyshix New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Texas
    it is 46.9x22.8x24 inches we use it cause it enclosed, do you think this is happening because they are all hens ?

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's because they are too crowded. They are getting to the age when they begin to establish their pecking order. They need at least 2 sq ft per chick at this point. Currently, they only have 1/3 of a sq ft per chick. WAY TOO SMALL.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  6. fluffyshix

fluffyshix New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Texas
    i am about to separate them to two groups.. thank you

7. fluffyshix

fluffyshix New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Texas
    Separated babies and proud to report pecking has ended and everyone is good ,ones that were pecked are healing just fine . Thank you for the advice

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good news. At such a young age, they grow so fast they almost heal before your eyes. Thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by