Baby chicks 4 weeks old...

padavali

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
My chicks are 4 weeks old today and starting to get a nice collection of feathers on their heads and necks. We are in MN and our highs are in the 70's and 80's and I have been turning off the heat lamp during the day for the past week-ish. My question is this, at night, like tonight our lows are going to be around 50*, and for the rest of the week and on looks like mid to upper 50's and even lows of mid 60's. Do they still need the lamp on at night or should they be ok?

I'd go with better safe than sorry, but that is just me. I turn on my heat lamp if the night temp is 50s or below. Mine are 4-5wks old and I decided I'm completely taking the lamp away in a few more weeks when I stop seeing fluff

Katie

Might leave it on tonight. Mine were outside at 4 weeks with temperatures simular to what you are experiencing with no heat. Make sure the coop is draft free and they will be fine.

Thank you :) They are in a large coop, it isn't draft free 100% (has a few large 2 inch holes drilled into the side) but they are in a tall horse trough that is about 3 feet tall....

Back
Top Bottom