1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

baby chicks....5 days in

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melissaL, Feb 28, 2012.

1. melissaL

melissaL New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    New here...new to chickens too!
    5 days ago I recieved my order from mypetchicken.com
    we ordered 3 for a small backyard flock. They are so cute!!! They are doing well - I am wondering if anyone can tell me when I should move them outside? We live in the mid-west so it's still pretty cold here! We are almost finished with the "garden ark tractor". Should they be 4-5 weeks? or closer to 6?

I can't figure out how to load pictures but if you really want to see them I have a link to my blog...
    http://thecre8tiveoutlet.blogspot.com/search/label/chicken chronicles

2. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Hello Melissa,
    I am new to chickens also, it appears you are much more practical then we are. We jumped in ordering 25 chicks, they shipped 27. All are thriving. We don't have a coop built yet. Starting this weekend. Luckily we have it under control, all the animals except the Jack Russell have adjusted to the new members.
    Enjoy!

3. melissaL

melissaL New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Haha! well the city we live in only allows 4 hens, without permits! 3 works well for us as we have 3 kids too!

4. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    About 6 weeks has always worked for us.

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Where are you brooding the chicks? In your home? In the garage? After a couple weeks (max) in your home, you'll be tired of the noise and dust. I brooded a couple groups of chicks in my garage, and my car stayed covered in a thick coating of dust. I hated the mess - no matter how often I cleaned it. We finally built a chicken barn that had electricity. Now, within two or three days of hatching, we move the chicks from the brooder in the spare bedroom to the brooder in the chicken barn. They do great - even in freezing weather. As long as they have a lamp where they can return to warm up, they are fine with cold weather around them. Protect them from drafts and make sure you have that one warm spot for them.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I move mine to the coop at about 5 - 6 weeks old. I keep a heat lamp in one corner of the coop until they are 8 weeks old. I brood mine in the garage. I can not imagine the dust and smell in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by