Baby chicks about 2 days old..dying!!!

Chiki

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
I got six of them..they are about a day or two old at max...

They seemed ' tired' when I first got them. 4 of them recovered fine from that. All dancing and prancing about even now. But 2 of them just stood still with their eyes closed...heads dropping slowly as if they are so sleepy that they can't keep their heads up. Last night I feed them and them covered the coop with a blanket to keep it warm since it can get a bit windy in here. I woke in the morning to find that one of the tired looking ones was sitting..its little wings all spread. I thought it was dead to be honest. Then i poked it and it stood up..took a few shaky steps and down it went again. I tried to feed it through a syringe but it didn't work well. It eventually died in the afternoon and the weird part was..it was twisting its head all around...it was horrible to watch
sad.png

Now the other tired one is sitting quietly with its eyes closed and I don't know what I should do!! Suggestions??

There's not a lot of information there for anyone to help.

Where did you get them from? Is the flock they came from acting similarly? You mention it can get windy there...are they warm? Too warm? Too cold? What kind of feed do you have out for them? Are they where bugs can get in with them easily (some spiders can get chickens pretty sick for a few days. Most *grown* chickens know which can be eaten and which not to eat, but chicks aren't too bright yet)?

I think it'll help us help you if you fill this out:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Quote:
I think its a broiler chick. About 3 to 4 days old.
The ill one seems to be drowsy at all times. Closes his eyes and stands still. He eats and walks fine though. But looks weaker than the rest.
For about two days.
The rest of the chicks seem fine and energetic.
No sign of any kind of injury or trauma.
Nothing I know of may have caused this.
Birds are on a diet of wheat flakes. Drinking water.
Poop looks a bit runny but no blood.
No treatment done so far.
Have to treat completely by myself. We don't have very experienced vets here in Bangladesh.
Its a big metal cage with the floor padded with hay.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Back
Top Bottom