baby chicks, adult hens and mareks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catterbug, Dec 13, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I will be getting baby chicks this March. I have 8 adult hens (32 weeks old) that were never vaccinated for Mareks. I am not planning on vaccinating the new chicks and was wondering if there will be a problem. I was talking to someone that said that the older hens are now immune to it.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It depends on if they have been exposed. It is unlikely they will croak from Marek's at this age, but if they have been exposed, they are carriers. This means any new chickens you bring into your flock would be at risk.

It is best to vaccinate any chicks that come in, you never know what they might be carrying.

3. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    If I vaccinate and the older girls haven't been exposed, when I put them all together will I be putting the older hens at risk. They will be put together once the chicks are fully feathered.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Marek's is unlikely to kill a full-grown hen. It can, but it is unlikely.

Putting vaccinated chicks in with un-vaccinated chickens does not put the un-vaccinated flock at risk. Remeber, vaccines are made of dead viruses.

If you want to avoid the whole worry, vaccinate them all. Syringes are $.01 apiece from Jeffers.

5. aceoftrumps

aceoftrumps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    On the contrary, the Marek's vaccine is a live virus...but a turkey virus. It builds an immunity to the chicken virus. It must be given at one day old if possible and before exposing the chicks to your environment for at least ten days.

Kurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by