Baby chicks... Am I doing this right...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by animalluv0512, Feb 22, 2015.

1. animalluv0512

animalluv0512 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    I got chicks from TSC yesterday all pullets and they said they were Rhode Island Reds. Right now I have the girls in a 18 gallon aquarium and I have a top on it for their safety. Also I have them under a 250 watt heat lamp. They have plenty of food and water. They seem quite happy walking around the area and chirping away! Just a quick question.. it is normal that they walk on each other and that sort of thing right? of course they don't hurt each other but is that normal? haha

Please tell me if I should do anything or have any suggestions this is my first time with chicks and I want them to be happy and healthy chickens [​IMG]

2. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Do you have a thermometer in there? I would be afraid of it getting too hot, being enclosed on the top and that big of a bulb. Keep and eye on the temps.

And how many are there? You want to have room for them to get away from the heat if they need to.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x2, especially in a glass aquarium.

4. animalluv0512

animalluv0512 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    I will get one! Btw the top I'm using is like screen much sturdery than screen but it has holes in it and it is metal, like screen. Sorry I'm bad at explaining. Thank y'all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by