Baby chicks and 2 month old chicks.....will they get along??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tsagirl, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    I will be getting ready for another batch of eggs in the begining of Jan and I wanted to know what everyone does when they have older chicks and then they have day olds? Do you put them in the brooder together? What do you think I should do so that they can get along?
    I will be hatching Buff Orphingtons(I hope they hatch [​IMG] )
    and they are very calm chickens and they will be put with my aracana mix chicks.....
    please any advice will do..

[​IMG]

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    No, they won't get along. The bigger ones will bully the little ones mercilessly. Keep them separated until the little ones are about 5 weeks old or so and can fend for themselves.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    < I agree with "peepkeeper".........the little guys will get picked on by the older chicks!>
    When I had buff Orp chicks, Barred Rock chicks and RIR chicks all the same age, the buff orps got picked on then.

4. SugarLandChickenMan

SugarLandChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    I've not started yet, but I am assuming the term 'hen pecked' comes from, eh?[​IMG]

5. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    The new chicks need to get some size to them before you put them together. You will need to keep them separated.

If the older chicks were the Buff Orpingtons, then the docile temperment would be to your advantage and you could put them together sooner.

As it is, with them being the junior set, I would wait until 5-6 weeks, watch them carefully to see whether the older chicks are very aggressive, and re-separate them if they are. Try again in a week or so, etc.. until the picking on/ pecking on is at least not injurious to your new set.

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Keep them seperate. Half the fun of hatching is having so many brooders going that your DH can do nothing but shake his head at you [​IMG]

7. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I don't get everyone saying that Orpingtons are so meek and placid, my buff orps are the Mean Girls of the coop. Total bee-yatches. [​IMG]

8. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Thank you everyone for you advice! I will do just that!
    I was concerned, so I will seperate them for a long while before I put them in together.
    Thanks very very much!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by