Baby chicks and a duck??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by neckringer, Apr 8, 2009.

1. neckringer

neckringer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Could I raise a baby duck with my chicks? Just curious how they would get along and what about feed?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    They will be just fine together. We feed ours chick starter same as our chicks. [​IMG]

3. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    What about when they get older. Can they eat the same chicken feed?

4. neckringer

neckringer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    I was told they were fine but wanted to run it by all my friends here at byc. Thanks, I went to TSC today and what do you know chicks and ducks. I am a addict and my name is neckringer, My wife thinks I have lost my mind. First she heard the radio I put in the coop for the chicks and chickens, now I have 5 more and a duck. I have modified my brooding area to seperate my 4 week old babies from Donald and the other five new chicks. I am not really crazy... am I?

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Our ducks eat what our chickens do. They are just fine.
    LOL, neckringer, you always start out with 2 or 3 chickens, then more chickens, then ducks, geese, quail, turkeys, pheasants, peafowl. You never know whats next and how many youll end up with. [​IMG]

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    are the chicks bantems ? i just lost one of my rosecombs that got trabled by a duck

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    neckwringer, I don't know if you are normal, but at least you aren't along [​IMG]

8. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    They are terrible enablers there at TSC. Ours had ducks and chicks too but I resisted the ducks. Neighbors would not understand that.

9. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, they can get along fine...
    These two are Best Buddies! They follow each other everywhere!
    [​IMG]
    They eat the same NON medicated chick starter and will eat layer crumbles when they are ready. I did worry early on that the duck would squish the chick, but they were fine. Ducks are much messier and I have them on a wire floor otherwise the chick would be filthy. Good Luck!

10. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

just make sure you give them unmedicated chickstarter, the medicated will kill ducks.

I have chicks and ducks, and I just put our 5 week old ducklings out in the henrun and house and they are lovin' it.

Good Luck, Kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by