Baby Chicks and Cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bragabit, May 4, 2009.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I would like to move my older 4-7 week old chicks to my backyard. The backyard has a 6 foot chain link fence. I will have shelter for them, and my Black lab LOVES them I swear he does. He protects the older ladies and I know he will the babies too. What I worry about is my cat. He is a neutered male. When we took the babies in the backyard last week, we caught him stalking one of them. I don't know if he would of done anything but I chased him off. So will a small cat take a chicken or a older chick?

2. jonathansenn

jonathansenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    Quote:Did you ever watch Sylvester and Tweety? We have outside cats and they are constantly eying our chicks. that's why we can't free range. Of course, if my DW would let me, I could solve the problem. [​IMG]

3. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    I would be very very careful! I have a cat and three dogs only two dogs live inside tho. The dogs are fine with the chickens and don't bother them at all but thats cause they are lazy and would rather nap all day then bother chicks. The cat loves to watch the chicks but we never left her unsupervised for the first 3 weeks or so because she didn't seem trustworthy! She now goes in and sees them at her leisure and leaves them alone as long as they are in their brooder. I noticed yesterday when I took out a chicken of the brooder the cat starting swatting at the chick I was so upset with her because she had never shown this type of attitude with them before! I would just keep good supervision when the cat is around and they can't be supervised at all times I would suggest putting the cat in the house, garage, or anywhere away from the chicks! Because you honestly NEVER know when their predator ways will kick in!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Yep, the cats will try for the babies.

One of my chicks escaped their run the first day I built it, and my cat Tiger tried to snag a treat. Fortunately I can see their tractor from my computer chair. My cats respect me like you might think they were dogs, and when I told him NO he slunk off and didn't try anymore.

In the house my predator pets think chicks are toys, but outside in the yard they see prey!!

Fortunately, both my cats and my dog think it's their job in life to protect the yard from the neighbor hood cats, so strays or neighboring cats don't come in our fence to harass the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by